West River Sailing Club
The Early Days
In 1930 a group of sailors from Cedar Point in Shady Side and from the shores of the West River formed OODYC (Our Own Damn Yacht Club). Spearheaded by the first and five time commodore William (Billy) Heintz, the club's first regatta was held on Labor Day weekend of that year. Labor Day weekend still anchors the club's active racing and cruising schedule.
In 1933 the club's name became West River Sailing Club, and for several years activities were centered around Cedar Point, known to many as Wagner's Point. In time the focus shifted to Galesville as the club's growth dictated a need for more space and facilities. Prominent one design classes in the '30s were the Dick Hartge designed and built Albatross, Sea Witch and Chesapeake 20. The Chesapeake 20s remain an active club fleet to the present day.
In 1960 land was purchased and our present clubhouse, designed by WRSC member David Shaw, was erected. It was dedicated in a gala ceremony in July 1963. That same year the club distributed its first Membership Roster.
With support from the community and friends, the West River Sailing Club has continued to prosper. Programs like our youth ctivities, our one-design program, our big boat racing activities, and our cruising fleet, along with high profile regattas like the Star North American Championships make WRSC a highly visible part of the Chsapeake sailing scene.
Continued modernizations of the facilities and an active volunteer spirit gives club members a tremendous value. The mix of junior and senior, big boat and small, racing and cruising gives every member a home and a chance to grow at West River Sailing Club.