Who's Going to the 2021 NAC at Cedar Point Yacht Club?
The 2021 North American Championships at Cedar Point Yacht Club is on! And, we have some fun in store for you, along with some fine racing at one of Connecticut’s foremost one-design racing yacht clubs.
There’s nothing, and I mean nothing, like skipping a year of serious, large fleet, competitive racing to get the Class’s kindred spirits fired up BIG. Oh yeah, this is happening. Don’t ask twice. It (the 2021 North American Championships) is happening! Junior sailors, that means you, too. Tell Mom; tell Dad, “We gotta go! Book the rooms, grease the wheel bearings and get the darn blinkers working for a road trip. Pa-leeze!”
Welcome back to Cedar Point Yacht Club! We, along with our partners in crime, Sprite Island YC and Candlewood YC, wish to invite all of our fellow Class-mates to the 2021 North American Championships being hosted at CPYC July 10 – 15.
Register and get all of the details at Yacht Scoring. The link to the website is here: https://yachtscoring.com/mobile/iemenu.cfm?eid=12992
The Flying Scot Class last held the North American Championship at CPYC in 2011, when Andrew Eagan and Jackson Benvenutti, from Bay Waveland Yacht Club, won the Gordon K. Douglas Trophy in the Championship Division. The photos above were taken back in 2011. Do you recognize any sail numbers?
Our Goal: To attract as many competitors as possible to the 2021’s. With that goal foremost in mind, we set out to make the 2021 Championship affordable. The entry fee is only $310.00 and we haven’t cut back on the deliverables, either. Like each morning, Zeke Horowitz and Brian Hayes, of North Sails, will be hosting a skull session. These morning sessions will include pre-race discussion of race conditions, insider local knowledge, pointers on tactics and strategies, as well as, the famous “Tip for the Day”.
What about food, you say? We have you covered with two dinners, kegs of beer, wine and soft drinks, complimentary, as well as other, on-premises food options that can be purchased.
- The Sunday night Welcome Party, included with the entry fee, will set the tone with heavy appetizers and beverages along with the official opening of the championship.
- For Monday evening’s post qualifying race festivities, our team will beat back those hunger pains with wood oven pizza of all flavors, salads, and gelato, from the locally famous “Red Diamond Pizza Truck”. And, and, the event (Did I mention this is Qualifying Day?) will feature live music by the locally acclaimed Mostly Green Band. The Monday dinner event is also included at no cost for registered participants (extra tickets can be purchased for guests).
- Tuesday night will feature a traditional Clam Bake Dinner (with Lobster!). The Clam Bake is one of the most popular regatta evening dinners at Cedar Point. Tickets will be available for purchase. Get your tickets early to avoid missing out on New England Lobsta.
- Wednesday evening is OPEN for competitors to enjoy the local restaurant scene with friends and family. Recommendations for local dining options are available on the Yacht Scoring registration webpage.
- The Awards Dinner will be held after racing Thursday. Trophies and awards will be presented, and, tickets will be available for purchase during registration for the Italian dinner portion of the evening. Beverages will be provided at all of the social functions!
We also have a few surprises for you if you haven’t returned to CPYC since 2011. The club now has a beautiful, open air pavilion, nearly at water’s edge for the post racing celebrations (beer and whining), the awards dinner, and just hanging out. The drystall was repaved and water hoses placed conveniently throughout. We are also making a few improvements to the clubhouse this winter, including a renovated women’s restroom and showers that the ladies will surely appreciate.
We are fortunate to have a well-supported, friendly, family-oriented national class. The North American Championship is the most important class event of the year; one that cements all of the districts into one family. RIGHT ON! The 2021 NAC syndicate is working hard to make this a memorable event and we look forward to seeing the registration list fill up FAST. We are planning for 60 boats, but hoping for many more. We can handle 100! Who is up for the challenge?
Register today and see you in July.