centerboard console, older Flying Scot

I recently purchsed Flying Scot 1244, obviously an older boat. I recently joined the Atlanta Yacht Club and can see differences in older boats and newer ones. One thing that has remained a mystery is the "centerboard console." There is a large "block/ratchet" on it, what is it used for?

thanks for your help

FS5516's picture

A picture of it would help figure out what you have.

phebejim's picture

This block was used to add friction for the main sheet which originally was lead from the end of the boom.