Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Claus
ParticipantFrom: Pfund5@Date: 14 Jun 2002Time: 10:21:57 -0400
Comments
All boats built after about 1972 will have a hull identification number (HIN) molded in the transom. The HIN consists of a 3 letter manufacturer ID code, followed by a serial number (probably sail number for Scots), and a 4 number/letter combination identifying the date of manufacture. For example, ‘ABC12345H898’ would identify boat number 1,235, which was built by the ABC company in August, 1998. The FSSA may be able to help with older boats. Bill
https://web.archive.org/web/20061017093445fw_/http://www.fssa.com/fsforu…Claus
ParticipantRB,
You asked privately about how to search the (very) old forum. Go to the Wayback Machine at https://web.archive.org/web/20070911053710/http://www.fssa.com/fsforum/ Don’t bother using the search links, they won’t work. Instead do a page search (Windows Ctrl-F or Mac Cmd-F) and search for “Westscot”. There is some talk in 2002 but I didn’t bother reading it. So it may or may not be useful to you.
ClausClaus
ParticipantThere are still some issue with the web site. It complains that it can’t send emails. Specifically password recovery and membership renewal emails.
Claus
ParticipantIs the requirement to be a member of the Midwest District or a member of a club in the Midwest District as stated in this blog?
http://midwestflyingscot.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-midwest-district-launc…
I don’t know if there are other FSSA members in the midwest district that don’t belong to a club (due to distance). Depending on which requirement people like these may or may not be able to participate.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to participate either way this year so it doesn’t affect me currently.
Thanks, ClausClaus
ParticipantLee, how’s the tent holding up in rain or wind?
Claus FS5074 Seaweed Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantFunny thing is that I’m quite happy with the rules about not allowing GPS, VHS, etc during races even though I’m one of the younger FS owners (35), I don’t have a fleet near me so I can’t practice against other boats, and don’t have a great feeling for boat handling either.
I like the low-tech aspect of sailing the Flying Scot. I bet we wouldn’t do anybody any real favor by adding GPS. The sailors that know how to sail don’t need it. The sailors who don’t, like me, need to keep their head out of the cockpit and pay attention to what’s going on.
It’s just like with an outboard. I think most cases outboards are just a hassle (along with an added cost, smelly, more things to break, …). One gets by quite well by without one. I’ve sailed some quite narrow channels that requires tacking like crazy, but hey you’ll feel proud after you did it.
Same with GPS, we’ll loose a lot of skills if we start to read the digital displays instead of the wind and waves. I much rather put the $300 in some good lessons that in a little electronic gadget.
Also I’d like to pull the bull card on the $300 vs. $2,000 GPS are the same. While I don’t have any experience with marine GPS, I do have some with car navigation systems and there are a night and day difference between the low budget and high end models.
I’m also not convinced that allowing GPS will make it more attractive to newcomers and novices to sail Flying Scots. I just can’t see it. However, the cost of the boat just has gone up cause most newcomers will have the perception that without a GPS system they will have major disadvantages.
quote:[i]Originally posted by tweisleder[/i]
To answer Doug’s question on just having is GPS tracking, I am not sure the rule says you cant have it on the boat, you just cant use it. So if its sitting in the back cubby, I would think you would be fine.But does it need to be off (i.e. not recording GPS data) or can it be on? What about if I just accidentally can see the display of the stowed away GPS while on? Looks like more potential to be in the protest room than the beer tent after the race.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantThe only thing that corroded on my 1996 Trailex trailer were the bolt for the tie down strap. All the other bolts are fine. You shouldn’t have any issues for many years.
One thing I learned the hard way is not to over tighten the hitch coupler to the trailer tongue. If you do you will have a hard time to hitch and unhitch the coupler to the ball. The through-the-tongue bolt squished the aluminum tongue and bend the sides of the hitch coupler together more than it was designed for. As a result the mechanism of the coupler didn’t work well. But again don’t worry, you won’t need to mess with the coupler for many years.
Also the nuts are special lock nuts. You can reuse them a couple of times but the locking might get to weak if you over do that. You can order additional nuts (and bolts if needed for accessories) from Trailex. Stay away from regular nuts, bolts and vinyl lock nuts.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
Participantquote:[i]Originally posted by Andy Carrier[/i]
[br]Thank you for your advice. My first roller – that is the roller at the end of the trailer is deep in the water. The next roller moving forward is just above the water’s surface. From what your are telling me, I have the trailer too deep. So, the rear roller should be at water level [?]Yes, the roller is just at the water line. On the Trailex aluminum trailer this means that you stop just before the hubs of the wheels are about to touch the water. Hubs are easier to see in the rear view mirror than the roller at the end of the trailer. Besides it’s best to keep the hubs dry.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantArticle IX.8 Change
Why is the phrase about sanctioned junior events being rephrased instead of being dropped? The Article IX.8 deals with membership and not with the junior championship. For that we have Article B-X.5 which already deals with the age restriction.The proposal of Article IX.8 fixes the age discrepancy between it and article B-X.5 but it still has a discrepancy whether or not a Junior Championship participant may own the boat. Article IX.8 implies such a restriction while Article B-X.5 does not restrict by boat ownership.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
Participantquote:[i]Originally posted by jfluard[/i]
“I do not support giving the current FSSA officers our fleet’s proxy.”You fleet does not have to give proxy to somebody (the proxy does not need to be an FSSA officer), the fleet has also the option of sending a delegate to the annual meeting to vote on behalf of the fleet or to fill out the ballot and mail it.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantScots-N-Water
Forum, blogs, twitter, youtube, etc … is all free and won’t promote people to get a membership. The printed color magazine is something that makes FSSA membership special. It’s something you get, looks pretty, that you can read on the go (or on the loo),… I always look forward to the next edition. As to the content it’s up to us. We all can contribute and see our story being published in a nice shiny magazine (pending on editor’s approval). Without the Scots ‘n Water magazine the only real benefit for me is that I can part take in some regattas, which is a big one for me. But if I were exclusively day sailing or living a bit further west the FSSA membership really doesn’t have anything besides the magazine to offer. And as a non-racer I would totally disconnect with the association.Of course it may be that there aren’t many people like that. I don’t have the detailed business view of FSSA so I’m not in the best position to give advice. I only can tell my views as a fringe member.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantNothing fancy. I just rewired the lights with a ground wire and LED lights and added a spare tire to my trailex. Be sure use a counter nut for the spare tire, otherwise the nut will come loose over long trips.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantAccording to the EYC Newsletter the schedule for the NAC is as follows:
Sat – Registration/Measuring
Sun – Registration/Measuring and Junior & Women’s Championship
Mon – Qualifying Races
Tue – Qualifying Races
Wed – Champion & Challenger Division Races
Thu – Champion & Challenger Division Races
Fri – Champion & Challenger Division RacesClaus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
ParticipantSOLD!
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
Claus
Participantquote:[i]Originally posted by FS5257[/i]
Sorry, but won’t be going to Wisconsin, either.
Even further away from the southeast.
It’s a give and take. For me the Wisconsin NAC is finally a NAC close enough that I can attend and I’m excited about it.Claus FS5074 Ames, IA
-
AuthorPosts