Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Claus
ParticipantI’m lost. The antifouling paint on our boat is powdery and only below the waterline. I doubt much would be left if I would sand it. I think even now it isn’t adequate to protect the boat if it where to be moored. To much has been rubbed off.
So I don’t get the yearly sanding over 20 years if no new antifouling paint is applied.
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA |
Claus
ParticipantJC, although not being an expert on this subject I think that the additional flotation would have to be placed as low as possible so that it’s in the way of the crew or takes away storage space.
Instead of doing that I would go with the mast head flotation. That will prevent that the boat swamps in the first place. This also could save your gear since the boat won’t flip upside down.
Do we have some volunteers to do some turtle, swamp, and mast head flotation tests? I bet we all would be interested in these result but most of us are to chicken to do that. 😉
Claus FS5074 Ames, IA |
Claus
ParticipantI have the aluminum Trailex Trailer and have trailered our boat on several long trips without a problem. Flying Scot sells Tie-down centerboard wedges made out of wood or plastic. I have been using the wood ones. Basically it’s two 1/8 inch (or so) thick pieces of wood that are screwed together at the top and have carped glued on the inside for padding. You lower the center board slightly, stick the wedge in from the top of the centerboard trunk and lift the centerboard until it fits snug. The wedges just prevent the centerboard from swinging/vibrating and hitting the centerboard trunk wall.
I wouldn’t lower the centerboard and have it rest on the trailer. I think a bumpy road would do bad things to it. Removing the centerboard really isn’t an option either since it’s quite heavy. So I reccomend just to leave the centerboard up and have a wedge of some sort to keep it from vibrating.
An alternative to the wedge is to use some old mainsheet and cut it in a 1 1/2 foot lenth and tie a big knot on each end to prevent the line to fall into the centerboard trunk. Now just lower the centerboard put the piece of rope between the centerboard and the centerboard trunk and lift the centerboard up like before. One piece on the left and another on the right so that you are using two of the cut and knoted pieces of rope. Keep the knots out of the centerboard and don’t go crazy with pulling the center board up.
-
AuthorPosts