Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
johnrmcl
ParticipantI find it interesting that I have not one reply to this topic. Even the centerboard shown in the official measurement document has a different shape from the template that Flying Scot sent to me to use when redoing my board and an accompanying sketch showing the official lengths and widths has a different shape from the template. The template sent to me has very large radius curves at the termination of the straight foreward and aft edges, while the sketch and measurement specs show a very long straight leading and following edge with very abrupt curves (smaller radius) at the transitions.
John McLaughlin
Ngulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantI would like to share the following from the FS listserve with this audience:
John,
Typically the main has one on the end of each batten with the top two being the most important. The jib gets a set or two on the luff and one on the top batten. Use Robert’s trick to place them along the luff about 1/3 and 2/3 from bottom of the jib and about 10 to 12 inched in from the luff. Make them about 6 to 8 inches long. Old 8 Track tapes work good, or the thinner casket tapes. Rip stop nylon cut into 3/8″ wide strips work too. Wool yarn is good too as it will not absorb much moister in the rain. Sail makers repair tape with adhesive on one side work best to attach them to the sail.Dan Neff
http://www.flyingscotracing.com.Hi Gang
Dan is exactly right with his suggestions for placement of the telltales.
While 10-12″ aft of the luff will work for placement of the jib telltales I’d maybe suggest trying a couple sets as close as 8″. We place them a little farther forward so the jib will react quickly to wind shifts and help keep you in the grove.
Dan is right about the wool vs. synthetic yarn as the synthetic will draw static electricity a bit more readily where wool isn’t as apt to do so. We use the spinnaker tape standard on the leech of the main and jib as Dan points out. We also use wool on the jib luff telltales as they don’t “wiggle” quite as actively as cassette tape. I am really reluctant to give up any of my old 8 tracks for telltale material as those still harbor some of my favorite songs!
Good luck!Greg Fisher
North Sails One Design
Cell 410 212 4916
Fax 410 626 8445
John McLaughlin
Ngulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantThanks for the numbers.
John McLaughlin
Ngulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
Participant* SailFlow, a web-based service for sailors seeking weather information,
provided Scuttlebutt with a frightening graphic of the weather during the
micro-burst tornado that hit the Marblehead, MA hard on July 11, 2006, doing
sufficient damage to force the cancellation of the Flying Scot North
American Championship Regatta at Corinthian Yacht Club, and causing havoc to
the area in general. View graphic:
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/06/marbleheadJohn McLaughlin
Ngulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantMany thanks to those who replied re the lifting bridle – especially Senor Editor. I have had the boat in and out on the lift with no problems.
Cheers,
JohnJohn McLaughlin
Ngulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantWe have heard from several persons who are older than their boat. How about the other direction. Those with boats older than they are!
Cheers,
JohnNgulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantSailing season is approaching – much to slowly- in the Hudson Valley. If any of you are still interested in opportunities to sail your Scot in the mid Hudson area, please let me know. I would certainly like to show you around the Chelsea Yacht Club or to assist you with locating other places to launch and sail. I would very much like to see an active fleet of Scot (or similar dinghy) sailors in this region for either crusing or racing. The Hudson is a truely beautiful place to sail.
PS – I am also active in the Beacon Sloop Club and invite y’all to come sail on the Sloop Woody Guthrie this summer. She and the Clearwater are now the only regularly active sloops now on the river. I crew her on Friday nights and she goes out Monday through Friday every week when the season begins. It is a great opportunity to sail on an old ferry sloop and a wonderful way for families and friends to get out and enjoy the river. Woody scheduling is done by Susan Berliner 845-297-7697 and she leaves the dock around 6:00 pm each day. Yes, it is free! Yes, they would be interested in having you become regular crew.
Cheers,
JohnNgulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantDennis:
I do not race my Scot, so am not too concerned with class legal. I do race a good deal, but not on my Scot. This is my boat to mess about on week days when the rest of the World is chasing the $$ and to enjoy with my grandkids and other family when they can go out. I chose the Scot because she is friendly and stable, will carry a good number of people and beer, yet she still has some get up and go.I will initiate a dialog with the FS builder re the roller reef system. I had seen it in their catalog, but wanted some input from those who had used it.
Cheers,
JohnNgulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantAlso, re lazy jack. I believe that, when set up properly, the LJ will support the mast, which means you do not have to mess with that @$%&*##^&* boom crutch.
Cheers,
JohnNgulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantDennis:
I have a lazy jack set up that I took off the boat when I bought it. It probably does make it easier to handle the main, but I did not want to have to deal with rigging it each time I set up. Next season I will have my mast up all the time and may rerig the LJ (if I can remeber how the heck it goes up. I frequently single hand or have nonsailors on board and I suspect it will be handy, particularly when cruising. Otherwise, I may offer it to the masses.
Cheers,
JohnNgulule
Customflex #1554johnrmcl
ParticipantRichard:
I have nothing but good things to say about sailing on the Hudson in the “Newburgh Bay” area. You are only about 10 or 15 miles from these options that I know of.1. Chelsea Yacht Club. You can either drysail or wetsail. I believe the wetsail buoy space is limited, so drysail is probably the better option. You can keep mast up and boat largely ready to go and either launch from lift with bridle or use your car and launch via ramp. It is a working club, so you would have work obligations in addition to membership fees. Great group of people and nice facility to enjoy with family and friends. Check out http://www.chelseayacht.org.
2. Immediately adjacent to the CYC in Chelsea there is a public ramp in pretty good condition. There is a dock there during the sailing season. It is a rather tight space and it is shallow, but not bad at all for a Scot. There is little space to rig and to keep your towing vehicle and trailer after you launch. It seems to be under utilized, probably because not many people know it is there and because of the space problem.
3. You could join the Beacon Sloop Club in Beacon immediately south of the Newburgh-Beacon bridge and just across from the train station. It is very difficult to launch at Beacon, but you can set up an arrangement with Tony Monahon, the Harbormaster, to put in a mooring for wetsailing. If this is of interest, I can provide Tony’s phone number. You will have to buy all of the tackle needed to set up a mooring. Check out the specs in a Chapman to get an idea of what this entials. Also, if you are a member of the Beacon Sloop Club you might enjoy sailing on their 38 foot gaff-rigged sloop, Woody Guthrie. I crew her most Friday nights.
4. You can launch from the Newburgh public ramp. During the week for most of the season this is really not a problem, but on weekends or holidays is is a real madhouse. This is a good ramp and deep water. It is adjacent to a floating restaurant and used very heavily by power boats who are not used to dealing with the needs of sailboats. Again, this is a good option on week days most of the time.
5. There is a yacht club in Newburgh that I know little about. I think is all large sailboats and power boats and perhaps a bit pricey.
6. There are two marinas at the Newburgh watefront with rental slips. I have not asked about their fees. They are mostly used by power boats, but there are a few sailboats of 20 feet or much more. I can get you some phone numbers if you are interested
I do not know what drawbacks you have heard about sailing on the Hudson, but she is nearly a mile wide at Newburgh and a beautiful place to sail. If you are not used to dealing with current, you will have to learn to take this into consideration, but I do not have a motor on my Scot and I do fine, even though almost exclusively a lake sailor in the past. There is some commercial traffic and one does not argue with the tugs and barges, but I have not found this a real problem. It will be different from the wide open spaces of LI, but much closer and lots of fun. There is a heck of a lot of river to sail from the narrows just below Bannerman’s Island up to Danskammer Point north of the Beacon Bridge. An experienced sailor such as you would probably explore the river well beyond these points.
johnrmcl
ParticipantGlenBruce:
Certainly appreciate your comments earlier this summer. I found the Chelsea Yacht Club and have joined. Great group – once had a large Lightning fleet and quite a few Scots as well, but now has very few dinghies of any sort except for some Lasers and Jr. sail activities. In any case, it is a great venue from which to launch my Scot. Makes getting out with the grandkids much easier. The public docks at Newburgh are hell on weekends.
Cheers,
John
1554johnrmcl
ParticipantBy the way – re your comment about a motor. I have the motor, but cannot find a motor mount bracket that goes with the 30-year-old fittings on my 1969 Customflex (#1554). Any help would be appreciated.
johnrmcl
ParticipantBruce:
What is the name of the club north of the bridge? I have been trying to get linked up with someone here. I crew on racing boats – mainly Thistles and Lightnings and have hooked up with some of the people at Nyack for that – and doing some crewing on a Sonar out of the Noroton Club at Darien, CT, but for daysailing and cruising on my Scot I would like to hook up with local folks here in the Newburgh area. -
AuthorPosts