Repelling Otters

Home › Forums › Repelling Otters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #6110
    phebejim
    Participant

    The local river otter population likes to use my boat as a dining table and latrine. Does anyone have relevant experience? I am considering electrifying the rub rail.

    #12833
    sawyerspadre
    Participant

    A Sailor’s Tailor Army duck mooring cover? Covers the whole deck, and otters would have to be crafty to get under it, I would guess.

    From this video, it seems that otters don’t like pepper, dogs, or being sprayed with a hose.

    http://www.expertvillage.com/video/164892_repel-otters.htm

    Maybe you want to put a pepper-based repellent on your mooring cover.

    Have fun,

    Phil Scheetz
    FS 4086

    #12859
    phebejim
    Participant

    A month ago I electrified the rub rail with a Havahart® Battery Powered Garden Protection charger with the ground wire in the water. I’ve had no problems since then. Previously the boat was befouled within a few days after launching.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top