Tiller repair or replacement

Home › Forums › Flying Scot Forums › Maintenance, Repairs, Changes, and Upgrades › Tiller repair or replacement

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #6068
    admin
    Keymaster

    I just bought a used Scot and the tiller has soft rotted spots on it. I would like to make a replacement copy. Does anyone know the type of wood used for the tiller.
    Thanks, TomT

    TomT

    #12757
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Thanks – great info! Actually the tiller is rotting in the middle. I could cut out the bad parts and fill then finish it with epoxy but it wouldn’t look as good as natural wood with a clear finish. I agree ash is great for furniture and general wood working but not for marine use. Besides the cost of wood, would mohogany or another species be a better choice? Is the centerboard cap mahogany? That would make my decision easier. By the way, what kind of wood is the tabernacle?

    Thanks,

    TomT

    #12760
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Ash it is! Thanks to all.

    TomT

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top